Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Reputation and Bullying

So I'm currently on a term break from school like all other students in the UK, and I thought this would be a good time to talk about reputation.

Every school has their cliques, friendships groups, gangs, whatever you want to call it - and each one has something that they're known for. There's the jocks, the geeks, the gamers, the girly girls, the emos and the goths. Fortunately, in my friendship group, there's a few from each of these sets so we're not sure what to call ourselves other than simply "friends".
You see, I don't believe that you should be friends with people just because you fit in with them and are exactly like them. There's no reason why a jock shouldn't be friends with a goth! Put your differences aside and you never know, you might even end up dating.

Reputations are important everywhere - in school, at work and even in normal places of leisure such as restaurants. It's also important to make sure that your reputation is a good one and not a bad one. Think about who you are at school? Are you the bully? Are you the one who's an easy target for bullies? Or are you the one who stands up for yourself? I know this is a really cliche and common example but it's the one that does relate to a lot of people. I've seen the videos people post of others being bullied and it gets me thinking - is that really what you want to be known for? Someone who makes other people feel bad?

If you can't relate to this then good for you because I've experienced both sides and trust me, neither side was fun. Bullying made me realize that the only way for me feel good about myself was to put others down and also made me realize how low my self esteem was and I was around 10 years old. Then, when I got into secondary school, I became a target because I tried hard in lessons and never did anything wrong. I felt that I changed for the better - I made friends with the people I hurt. Now, I'm not bullied and I don't think anyone really is in my school anymore. It shocks me how much it happens in other schools though.

Now, let's go back to reputation as a whole. Do you think your reputation is the one to suit you? Or would you like it to change?
Are the people in your school clearly divided or do you all talk to each other at some point during the day?
I bet there's someone in another group that you're just dying to get to know.

Anyway, I hope you have a little reflection on yourself like I did. You never know, there might be a better you inside just dying to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!