Friday, 12 April 2013

You Are Not Perfect

So I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that the media controls our lives and that the main thing it seems to have an effect on is our views of perfection. Now, even though I do get entranced by these ideas - be it a certain clothing size that I have to be or a new hairstyle - I still would rather be myself. I'm not immune to the powers of society and I'm aware that I can't avoid it either since it's part of everyday life.

There are so many advertisements now on TV and on the Internet etc, that encourage people to lose weight, work out and wear the latest trends and styles. I don't see this as a bad thing since it also encourages people to be healthy but it does have an impact of people's self esteem -  how they see themselves. Usually, these images are quite negative. For example, a teenage girl, such as myself, would want to be a clothing size smaller than they already are and once they reach that size, they want to go down even more. I know people who are clothing sizes of a UK 6-8 who still consider themselves "fat". I don't understand how they come to this conclusion when all I see is a beautiful person who I would love to be as skinny as. But, that's just it. No one in the world anymore wants to be how they would like to be but would rather look like someone else. However, no one seems to notice things like personalities anymore.

I would much rather be friends with someone who's a great person over someone who looks "perfect" but it quite the opposite when it comes to their personality. For me, looks are nothing and I try to keep to this as much belief as much as I can. But, like with any belief, I do get some challenges. If I see someone whilst I'm shopping or just hanging out with friends, there's something inside me that wants to judge them and I'm sure that other people get this feeling too. It just makes it that much harder to treat everyone the same, regardless of how they look.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm a perfect person - I do say things that might offend people and I make mistakes. The perfect person is non-existent and, of course, there are people who come close to being perfect and I respect those people. Everyone has their ideal perfect thing whether it's a certain skill or look or attribute that a person may have. But to have someone that's completely and undeniably perfect is just crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!