Saturday, 18 May 2013

Let's Be Honest

Okay, so everyone seems to be posting really big paragraphs about the last 5 years of their lives with everyone at school on Facebook. I'm tempted to join in but it's so cliche and the words in each paragraph I read pretty much all say the same overly dramatized thing. So, I figured that I'll have my take on it. Ready?

The last five years have been awesome; I've made friends, got over my lack of self confidence (mostly), and I found where I fit in. But, it wasn't all brilliant and amazing. 

Firstly, I've lost friends as well as gained friends. I grew apart with the people that I thought I'd stick by with forever - my friends from primary school barely talk to me and the group of people that I was with in Year 7 don't really speak to me anymore either. Overall, I think that only around 5 people still talk to me from Year 7. Most of the friends I have are made up of the people I met within the last 2 years. 

I want to say the cliches like "I'll miss you all dearly" and "I'll never forget you guys" but I can't. Why? Because we're all going to see each other again on Monday for our first exam and most of us are staying in the same school for Sixth Form. Let's not forget, school is only one place and friends can still meet up outside of school; we're not limited to having friends within school. I think that most people forget this and just say their goodbyes for no real reason. Yes, you won't see them as often but this shouldn't affect your friendship in anyway if you actually liked each other and are loyal friends.

I did say goodbye to quite a few people but that's only because they're not just moving school - they're also moving to a different place altogether. Will I miss them? Yes, but I doubt it will be for a long time. They weren't really in my group of friends so I guess I'm not affected by all of this. 

As for me, I've changed. I'm a better person than I was when I was 11. I'm not as shy or as worried about what other people think of me. I've learnt to appreciate life. I don't know if this is because I was more exposed to the situations other people were in or because I learnt to overcome the more difficult stages of life like finding where you fit in and straying away from the materialistic person I once was. I had a habit of telling people where all of my clothes came from - especially if they were expensive - and now I'm a person who's working in a charity shop and actually admiring the clothes in there. Before, I would have never dared to take a step into one.

So, this is my take on the last five years. I've grown (more mentally than physically; I'm pretty short) and I'm happy. 

Reading all of the other paragraphs got me thinking as well. How many people actually mean what they say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!