Saturday, 15 June 2013

Acceptance: Homosexuality

"Russia Passes Bill Making It Illegal To Tell Kids Gay People Exist"

This headline caught my eye the other day and really just irritated me along with the Westboro Baptist Church in America. All of this "controversy" with homosexuality is just ridiculous. To start with, this "controversy" was caused by our own ignorance and our view of what "normal" is. I don't have anything against people like this but it does make me unhappy to see the benefits of homosexuality being overlooked and I don't see the difference between two men or two women holding hands against a man and a woman holding hands. Love is love and it shouldn't be controlled.

Firstly, I think that the biggest benefit of homosexual relationships is that the children that they raise and nurture are actually ones that they've chosen to care for. There's so many kids that are unwanted and given up and couples that take them in are most likely to be homosexual. Just face it. People say that kids with homosexual parents will get bullied. But, has anyone ever considered why? Kids learn from their parents and the only reason why these kids will get bullied is if parents tell their children that homosexuality is wrong or weird which it isn't. If children are better educated and taught correctly, future generations with be far less ignorant in comparison to us now - there's no doubt about it. All that needs to happen is to accept that society has moved on. There was a time where women could not wear things like shorts or jeans without being judged but now it's widely accepted so there should be no reason why this can't be accepted either.

I sometimes consider the earth as a huge theocratic society. Religion has had a major impact on what can and can't happen. People fight for their rights and if we're going to live in democracy, we should be able to decide on things with guidance from the people and not religious leaders. I actually like the new pope - he wants to help the poor and shows it and accepts that atheists exist. We shouldn't be forced into beliefs and laws that the majority obviously go against. I know that gay marriage is slowly becoming accepted and I like that; I just wish it happened sooner. 

I'm only a teenager yet I feel like I have the mind of an adult. I know what I am (sexually) but some people don't. Telling someone who is confused what is "wrong" and what is "right" is a ridiculous thing to do. It would make them feel ashamed and lead to self-hate. When that happens, you can't predict what they're going to do next. The worst thing for me is self-harming - not suicide. That would end the pain but self-harming just prolongs it which is worse. Do you want to be the cause of that?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!