Saturday, 29 June 2013

Choices

Starting from today, I have absolutely no school until September. I can do what I want (most of the time) and I have more time to myself. But, I still have summer homework...

When you have freedom like this, it's really easy to just think about sleeping all day and achieving absolutely nothing. I can very easily decide not to focus on any of my plans for the summer and just stay in bed for the whole summer. I know this sounds like a very attractive thing to do for most people since most of us are stressed from work and school, but I'm making the choice of actually doing something. Crazy, I know.

From the induction days I had this week, I realized that what you choose to do now really does have an impact on your future. You have to make sure that you've picked the right thing to do - with school, you have to make sure that being in a college is better for you in comparison to sixth form. At work, you have to make sure that you're in a place where you want to work. Also, you have to choose whether or not to accept things like promotions - especially if this means moving away from your loved ones. With all of these things, there's always an easy option and a more difficult option. Sometimes, the easy option is better and there's no denying that. But, there are times where you have to seriously consider the pros and cons with both choices. Is a job worth being away from everyone? Are you in college because you have more free time or because the subject you're doing will actually benefit you?

Also, everyone's made bad choices. That's just a part of life and there's no way of avoiding it. It could be something silly like deciding to climb a tree and then realizing you can't get back down or being in a relationship for the wrong reasons. Whatever that bad choice was, it did have an impact on your life. So many people rush through things and make decisions without thinking about it. Most of our choices nowadays are influenced are other people. In our minds, we always think about how other people will see us after we make certain choices. Will we be viewed as selfish or selfless?

I make choices that make me happy and ones that I'm comfortable with. To be honest, most of them don't really have a positive impact on me. For example, the choice to eat or to exercise during my free time is usually the one I have to choose between each day and, most of the time, food wins.

The point of this is that it doesn't matter how big or small the choices you make in life are - they're unavoidable and you have to face the fact that you will make bad decisions. Your future depends on what you do now and being lazy and always choosing the easy option will get you nowhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!