Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Falling and Broken Bones

So, today my brother broke his fingers - his middle and ring finger. The doctor described one of his fingers as a "Mallet Finger." I have no idea what this means but I most certainly have no intention to find out. It looked horrible. Now, you're probably wondering how this happened. The answer is that he simply fell. But, my brother's brain somehow didn't function correctly as he did so - the normal reaction is to place your hands flat out in front of you to attempt to slow down the fall or go down on your side; he fell with his fingers pointing straight down so the impact was concentrated on the tips of his hands which was painful and caused the fractures and dislocations. He didn't cry.

A fall is something that happens to everyone and bones will break if serious enough - I cracked a bit of my skull when I fell from a stool when I was around 4 years old. It was excruciating and I don't know how I survived it. Sometimes though, all we get is a graze on the knee.
Falls, no matter how big or small, always give us limitations in life but only for a while. How we regain our strength during recovery shows what that person truly is like. If they're able to get back up again, especially in front of people that saw it, it shows they're strong and are people that persevere. On the other hand, if someone falls and stays on the ground to wait for help, it shows that they're careful and still need that push to get up - it doesn't mean they're weak.

Falling isn't just physical - I'm sure most people would tell you that. There are times when people's confidence reach an all time low or they experience something that affects them mentally. This could be something small like finding out that a party is cancelled - like a graze on the knee, this pain would not last a long time and would quickly heal over. Sometimes it could be something more serious like breaking up in a relationship or finding one someone you love has died - this is the equivalent to breaking a bone. Falls like this mean readjusting your life so you can get through the pain like my brother with his broken fingers. It does heal eventually but takes a lot longer. Again, how you get through it will show who you are to everyone else. Crying in your room for a week (like I've done before) shows that you're passionate. This would be the approach most people have straight after an "emotion broken bone." However, in the long term, if you can face the world and smile, it shows you're strong. If you decide to stay in the dark, it shows your scared but no one can stay in there forever. Those people need a push but, again, it doesn't mean they're weak. Also, you will be rewarded.

The reward may not be big but it would be enough for you to say "Yes, I did it and I'm stronger than ever." For my brother, this was a McDonald's Chicken and Bacon Wrap for not crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!