Sunday, 23 June 2013

I'm Different

So, being a full Filipino, there's a lot of things that people expect me to do or be good at. The main things that come up are singing, dancing, the ability to play the piano and maths. There's also other things that people think I do like being in a youth group or spending my life studying. There's so many stereotypes for Asian people in general and I like how we've embraced those instead of becoming offended. However, I just don't like that people assume I can do something because of my race.

I'm not blind to the fact that some places in the world, your future is chosen and forced upon you. But, you end up brilliant at it. Countries like Russia have awesome ballet dancers but that doesn't mean that everyone there can gracefully twirl and jump when they wish. Likewise, in China, they have some brilliant, world-class gymnasts but that doesn't mean all Chinese people can bend like rubber. I am proud of my skills and my talents and, yes, I do fit into the stereotypes of a typical Filipino but that's not all that there is with me. I like being myself and I like being different.

My parents don't completely agree with all of my life choices; the main one being the career I'm going after but that will never stop me. There are a lot of things that I probably wouldn't be doing if I was still being raised in Philippines but times have changed. I don't like being branded as "westernized" by the people I know back home - it hurts to think I'm now an outsider. If I was still in Philippines there's a chance that I'd be:

  • a hardcore Catholic
  • boyfriend-less
  • only friends with people from school
  • wearing clothes that are simple - t-shirts, jeans, shorts (nothing from places like TopShop and River Island)
  • spending more time reading and learning an instrument
  • spending little to no time outside of the house

But, like I said, I'm different. I am not religious; I have an amazing boyfriend; I've met people on holidays and days out and I still talk to them; I wear short shorts and cropped shirts that my parents don't always agree with; I know the basics on a piano but that's about it; I don't sing or dance; I spend more time with friends than I do at home. 

Say what you like but I'm a proud Filipino even if I don't follow the same road as the rest of the Filipinos of my generation. I don't want to be a doctor, a lawyer or a teacher. I want to be a designer! An artist! I don't want to be a sheep following the herd but at the same time, I'm not trying to be someone else. I'm just being me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!