Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Tech Take Over

I do enjoy the sun and if you've been with me from the start of this blog, you'd know that I love having long walks outside when it's warm. However, lately the weather's been a bit gloomy which has encouraged me to stay indoors where it's more cosy and safe. This had more negative effects than positive for me.

The biggest effect on me is probably through social interaction. I feel like the internet and my Xbox has won the battle against going outside. As soon as I wake up, I check my phone for texts, Facebook messages and now Tweets. I'm sure I'm not the only one but I do miss being outdoors. The weather is slowly getting colder but that's Britain for you. Whenever I have time to myself, I'm on my laptop or playing games which kind of helps me with one of my targets for this summer - to finish "Gundam: Dynasty Warriors" on my Xbox. I still haven't made any progress with my other goals (my sewing machine is still in the cupboard) but the end of summer is still a long way away and I still have 3 exams to go.

I guess with the current times, people are more inclined to be indoors and surfing the internet. There's barely any people outside. I sometimes think to myself that all hope is lost when I see people in restaurants or in shopping centres with friends yet are on their phones. If you're going to be with those people, don't talk to other people. Simple as that.I also see kids outside playing and that's great to see but as soon as their phone is whipped out of their pockets, they're gone. The playing stops and the texting starts.  But, I do know that we've brought this on ourselves. There are so many advertisements for the latest iPhone, Windows Phone, Xbox, Playstation etc and we give in to them. I remember the days where Lego and Barbies were the most important things to me. They allowed me to be creative and make planes from a pile of colourful bricks (although they weren't that great) and be a princess through a plastic doll. Nowadays, my little sister entertains herself with Sesame Street on Youtube and has no love for her toys. Yes, she's learning but she's also not being interractive which leads to her running away from people she doesn't know. She does talk to my friends when I'm on Skype with them which is cute but slightly worrying.

We are the tech generation and we should embrace it. We know how to work a computer better than our parents and grandparents. But, we shouldn't take it too far. We're making things awkward between ourselves and other people. Have you ever been in that situation where you can talk to anyone for hours over Skype or Facebook but as soon as you see them in person it's just pure silence between you? It's not nice and it's really hard to find a way out of it.

We're turning into robots!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!