Monday, 22 July 2013

That Bag Project - Part 3

I've finished the bag strap (kind of). I've sewn the pieces together and then turned the whole thing inside out. I just need to sew over the sides of the straps again to flatten it - at the moment, it looks like a long denim tube.

I got my mini sewing machine out earlier so I could sew already. It was at that moment that I realized we only had enough black thread for the straps so I'm going to go buy some more within the next few days (hopefully). I really don't want to wait another week to make some more progress on this thing.



It didn't take a long time to sew the pieces together - only about 10 minutes. The sewing machine has a guide of roughly 1.5cm and another at around 0.5cm. I really needed one at 1cm but, since the sewing machine doesn't have one, I had to improvise so one side of the strap has a seam at 1.5cm and the other at 0.5cm. It'll be on the inside anyway so no one's going to see it.



If you're wondering why there's a black wire there, I was taking photos on my phone whilst it was still in the charger. Sewing together the pieces was the easy part. Turning the whole thing inside out: not so much. That took me over an hour! My fingers got tired after a while of pulling the denim through. It didn't help that the strap got twisted. I even pulled the denim through with my teeth at one point. Then, I thought it would be a good idea to use my chopsticks. They were a present from a Japanese friend of mine.


They BROKE!


At least now I know how strong wooden chopsticks are...

Anyway, This is what the strap looked like halfway through: 


And this is what it looked like when the whole thing was turned over. I held it up against my wardrobe since my desk was too full to show this. I present to you, a denim tube!


My thumbs and fingers still hurt...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!