Tuesday, 6 August 2013

A Game of Thrones: Expectations and Reality

So there's no hiding the fact that I'm currently obsessed with "A Game of Thrones" - the book, not the TV show. I'm currently on page 321 and, I have to say, it's very different to how I thought it would be. I know that a lot of people love the show and the books but I never really got myself to look at either - two reasons: the book is really thick so I was afraid that I wouldn't have the time to read it; and the expectations I had also put me off.


Expectations
  • It's an "adult" book - I honestly expected nearly every chapter to contain sex. That seemed to be the only thing on people's minds when they talk about it.
  • Long chapters.
  • A confusing story line - from what I hear from other people, there's about 10 new characters per episode so I found it confusing and something that I wouldn't be able to keep up with.
  • There's going to be a lot of words that I don't understand.
  • It's going to be like any other war story/movie/show/book on the planet.
When I read the first few pages, it was pretty captivating. I wanted the rest of the novel to be like that and it was. I'm pretty impressed! I still have the other half of the book to get through. I'm reading around 80 pages a day. The reality of the book is a lot different to my expectations and I really wish that I had picked this book up sooner.


Reality
  • There is barely any sex in the books which made me a little more comfortable with reading it. The mentions of sex aren't that long either - the longest was about half a page. It's still pretty vivid though.
  • The chapters are only around 15 pages long since each one focuses on different characters. I didn't know that before I started reading the book - I thought each chapter would be around 50 pages.
  • It's really easy to keep up with the storyline and characters. George R.R. Martin is really clever in making sure you don't forget who each person is.
  • I understand all of the words.
  • I'm not going to lie and say that this isn't like any other war story/movie/show/book because it is. There's a hero; there's a villain; there's a mystery. I know that's the base of pretty much every story but there are points in the book where things become predictable and it's like something that you've read or seen elsewhere.
I'll keep you guys updated on what page I'm on at the bottom of future blog posts. I seriously recommend this book to people. I already know that pretty much everyone knows about "A Game of Thrones" or has some idea of it. It is a really good book!

And who's my favourite character? Tyrion Lannister. That guy is so clever and hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!