Saturday, 3 August 2013

Summer Street Party

STREET PARTY! Every single year our street has one. Last year, the theme was Hawaii. This year? Pyjamas. That's right. We had a pyjama party. We're all very mature. Both kids and adults dressed in their pyjamas and onesies.

Some friends of the family also came over. We spent the duration of their time here indoors; they got here just after I got back from volunteering. At this point, I wasn't in my onesie yet - but the little children were. We watched "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" and, since the food was inside, we ate in the living room as well. It was nice and relaxing as well as filled with lots of banter. We sat in an awkward but comfy position - I leaned on one person whilst another was lying on my stomach and the last one sitting upright, being leaned on as well. However, as soon as they were gone, I was outside looking after my baby sister.

It was really, really sunny. I was in a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. We had a bouncy castle outside as well. I kind of disappointed me how little it was; I was expecting a big bouncy castle that took up half of the area between the houses like last year. The one we had today was a meak, little one meant for small children although the teens had a go inside as well. We also had a barbecue going and I'm pretty sure I ate more than half of the kebabs...

We had games (which the adults took part in as well) and that resulted in one injury. One of the dads hurt his foot and had to be taken to A&E. My brother and his friends found fun in swinging little children by their hands and feet into the bouncy castle. I thought this was going to end badly. It didn't. There were no injuries and the children lined up again and again to me thrown into this plastic paradisemade alive with air (wow... I read too much "A Game of Thrones"... "plastic paradise"). Then one of the burlier dads decided to have a go at being swung. My brother and his friend tried their best but only managed to throw him no further than a few centimetres away; he landed on the edge of the bouncy castle.

By the time it was dark, it was also cold and that led to the adults changing into their pyjamas and onesies as well - I changed into my cat onesie. There were cats, tigers, zebras, cows, monkeys, dinosaurs and monsters. The street looked like a zoo that got out of hand.

We got a fire going and roasted some marshmallows. It's fair to say that we're not the best at this: some caught fire; some burned to a crisp; and some fell of their sticks. A few did turn out quite well and tasted delicious too. As the night went on, the kids went to bed, one by one and the adults got the alcohol out and chatted amongst themselves. My dad put the music away around 11pm.

And now, I'm here, in my room with a nice cup of tea, a glowstick on my desk, and I'm still in my onesie. I am freezing! I read more "A Game of Thrones" outside under the house's garden light until I couldn't take the cold anymore. I spent most of the night in the garden or chasing my sister around the street. I don't talk to many of the neighbours - usually no more than a "hello" to them. My parents, on the other hand, talk to every single one of them. I felt extremely shy but I was left to it and I had my book (and food) for company.

I'm off to bed now. I have another (hopefully) eventful day tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!