Thursday, 12 September 2013

Book Review: Summer Novels

Over the summer, I read a few novels that I really, really liked and I hope that you guys would also pick at least one of them up and give them a read.

 I was also in the process of reading "You Don't Want To Know" by Lisa Jackson but, thanks to the silly people who published the book with 49 missing pages, I can't finish reading it. If anyone has a copy of it out there somewhere who has the same problem, please tell me. Along with brutally hurtful foot pains and a headache, Tuesday was not my day and I just want to have some form of comfort knowing that I'm not the only one who managed to get a book with FORTY NINE PAGES MISSING.

Anyway, on with the review:

  • The Perfect Lie by Emily Barr - 4 out of 5
    • This book, as good as it was, had so many mistakes and grammatical errors that I got frustrated with it.
    • However, it was rescued by the original story line and the structure of the novel. I liked how it didn't make complete sense until the last few chapters so you were encouraged to read on. The novel isn't that explicit and Barr is actually really good at making things like sex and drug use subtle in the story but you still feel that impact inside you when it's mentioned. (Trying really hard not to give everything away here).
  • A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin - 10 out of 5
    • Okay, I'm pretty sure you've read this blog enough times to know I'm completely in love with the first book of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. If you haven't then you should read some of my previous posts.
    • It is a really captivating book and I seriously hope other people appreciate it as well as I do. The book is brilliant! The show? I don't know; I've never seen it.
  • You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz - 3.5 out of 5
    • As much as I loved being part of this thriller novel, I wasn't totally into it. 
    • The story line is beyond original but there's just places in the story where you kind of go "I expected that to happen" or "Great. What now?" It is really predictable...
If anyone has any novels that they want to recommend then don't hesitate to mention it in the comments below this post. Alternatively, you can email me via pauline.subong@gmail.com (only a handful of people do so I can reply pretty quickly to those).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!