Monday, 9 September 2013

Don't Ask Me If I'm Okay

You know when you're obviously and undeniably sad, upset and you feel like destroying the whole world? What is the last thing that you want to hear? That's right - "Are you okay?" - I would rather get slapped around the face than get asked that. Yes, I know people are just being polite and friendly but if you ever see someone crying their face off, it's clear to every single person around them that they are not okay at all. Don't ask them if they are. You might feel like you're being helpful, but you're just going to make it worse.

First of all, when you ask someone if they're okay, you will get a "Yes, I'm fine" in between sobs and whines. People don't want to admit something's wrong even though their appearance says otherwise. A better way to approach someone crying would be to ask them "What's wrong?" or "Do you need a hug?". That way, you're acknowledging the fact that they're in despair and would make them feel slightly better. When I'm sad, I prefer to be silent rather than talk about my problems. I do that once I get past the crying part of the day. Everything I say will make more sense and, considering that I have an awkward Filipino-British accent, I'll be easier to understand.

I hate it when people ask me if I'm okay so don't do it. When I'm upset, I am UPSET! Everything I say and do will be hell in your face so don't make it worse. I'm sure I'm not the only one like this. Even when I see someone on TV asking someone else if they're okay, I want to punch the screen. I know it's part of the script but it still annoys me.

There are some exceptions to this though. When I don't act "normal" and frantically run around the school, people will ask me if I'm okay and I will usually reply with a "YES" whilst rapidly jumping up and down. That's fine. But, when I'm down in the dumps, it's really not. Don't do it. You think the person is upset now? Ask them if they're okay and you might as well stand in a fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!