Friday, 13 December 2013

A Life Crisis

In 3 years, I'm going to be 20 years old. That's scary.

We all go through that phase where all we say is "I don't want to grow up" and "Let me be a teenager forever." It's tough when you realise you have these new responsibilities now. We all have minds that think differently as well. 7 years ago, I stayed away from guys because I found them weird and I found relationships to be something that I didn't want to be involved in.

Then, I had my first kiss with a guy. Most of us have that around the age of 12 or 13 and it's really weird knowing that there are people out there (even some of my friends) that haven't had that yet. It makes you feel old and too grown up. They still have that wonder in their minds and, with me, with most of us that feeling is desensitised. It's normal.

We all go through "firsts" and after those "firsts" we forget that feeling we had the first time. When we ride a bike, we don't get that instant joy we got the first time we didn't fall off. Again, I know people my age who don't know how to ride a bike and it interests me when you notice how much you actually don't know about other people. You expect other people to have experienced the same things as you and you get so shocked when you find out that they haven't done "that thing" you expect them to have done already.

Since it's the 13th, I thought today would be a good time to share 13 "that things" that I usually expect people my age to have done already:

  1. Learnt to ride a bike.
  2. Had their first kiss.
  3. Go down a zip wire.
  4. Watched classic cartoons like Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry on TV.
  5. Gone to Nando's (Seriously, if you're in the UK, you should know what it's like in there)
  6. Experienced that cheesy arm-over-the-shoulder move in the cinema.
  7. Play kiss chase.
  8. Pretended the floor was lava in the living room.
  9. If you're a girl - you've gone to school with way too much make-up because it was your first time using it.
  10. Learnt to skateboard/rollerskate/iceskate.
  11. Learnt to swim.
  12. Worn a bag that was the size of your body when you were in your first year at high/secondary school.
  13. Gone through a "Green Day" phase - all you listened to was screamo, metal, pop punk and alternative music like My Chemical Romance, Bullet For My Valentine, Black Veil Brides and Paramore.
Those are my 13 "that things." If you have experience less that 10 of those, you are weird to me. 

What do you usually expect people to have done already? It's really strange when you can't talk to someone about life experiences when they can't empathise with you. You can't really explain what riding a bike is like to someone who's never done it. Some people might feel too old to try it. You can't explain what skateboarding or swimming is like without making it sound a little bit scary. Your experiences are different to another person. But, that's what makes life so interesting. If we all went through the same thing, we'd be living in a world where there's nothing to talk about. If you think about it, all of our conversations with people usually are about past experiences. Listen to what others have to say and it's usually about "this thing that happened last night" or "the other day I did..."

This post itself is about my experiences with other people's experiences. 

And that is why this post is called "A Life Crisis." I'm having a small breakdown...

That's all for now. Stay beautiful x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!