Thursday, 5 June 2014

Dress Sculptures

I'm studying dress sculptures for my Art project at the moment. I'm thinking of dropping the class since I know my grades aren't brilliant and I'm doing well in my other classes. It would also give me more time to work on things for other classes. But, I still have to go on with it until I get my results before I talk to my teachers.

Anyway, I'm studying dress sculptures for Art and I'm actually finding the whole topic interesting. Even if I drop the class, it's a good starting place for my portfolio for university. The dresses that I'm studying are beautiful and you can see the effort that's been put into them. I barely had the patience to finish my art exam piece to a high quality. The fact that I held out surprised me. There were so many rolls of paper... and so much glue... I guess I'm going to have to work on my patience. I have to for design as well since the work load is just as much.

My favourite artist at the moment (dress sculpture-wise) is Carrie Ann Schumacher. I love her dresses and the fact that she uses romance novels to make them. My overall theme is how women are represented through dress sculptures so she's a useful artist and there's so much inspiration that comes from her sculptures.

*pictures are from Pinterest and carrieannschumacher.com

Sculptural Paper Dress created from book pages and a hole puncher // Book Art, Carrie Anne Schumacher
Harlequin
Alice and the Boy She Left Behind

Never the Prom Queen
These dress sculptures are unwearable and have absolutely no function other than looking pretty. I interpret that as a reflection of what women see in novels - unattainable relationships that look pretty but would not do anything for them. These novels are so unrealistic and makes love look so perfect when it's not. It's like a lesson to everyone.

They're made of little pieces of paper that are cut into strips or circles. Some pieces are also hole-punched! It's fun. I tried it. It's difficult, though, to get the holes pressed where you want and to create a decent pattern on each piece. I know that this will keep going until the summer at least. It has to. I'll make my decision to keep the class or drop it after summer.

In other news! I have a maths exam tomorrow that I feel prepared for but I'm still scared of it as well. Also, I WAS ALLOWED TO USE AN ELECTRIC SAW AND DRILL IN PRODUCT DESIGN CLASS!!! OMG OMG OMG!!! AND I DIDN'T INJURE MYSELF OR BREAK ANYTHING! Sorry, sorry, I was pretty proud that I was able to handle power tools. I'm a textiles-pro so I don't touch anything related to wood shop... My work is pretty sloppy compared to other people, though, but it's pretty good for a first try!

That's all for now. Stay beautiful x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!