Sunday, 18 January 2015

What I've Learnt Since Turning 18


It's almost been two months since my 18th birthday and I feel like the expectations that I had of becoming 18 were completely different from what being 18 is actually like.

Turning 18, in the UK, means that I can drink alcohol legally in public places but, as of yet, I haven't done that. I've been out to restaurants enough times to have the opportunity to but when it comes to drinks, I still prefer having a glass of lemonade. I haven't ordered an alcoholic drink anywhere... At TGI Fridays, when I was on a date with my boyfriend, I ordered an Oreo Milkshake. Yes, Pauline, you are a child. I did get a bottle of Smirnoff Ice for my birthday but that is pretty weak and I downed that quite quickly so it doesn't count.

The most important thing, I think, about turning 18 is that you should be able to drive by then. I don't even have a provisional license yet; I'm planning on getting one very soon (when I can afford it. I spent my money on a laptop but I've mentioned that already) but I don't actually think I'll start lessons until I'm at university. The main reason I need one is for proof of ID.

I thought that turning 18 would make me feel grown up, like I'd go through some kind of mental metamorphosis on my birthday and suddenly I'd know grown-up things. I honestly don't feel anything like that and it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought; an adult mind is something that I don't think I'll have any time soon. It does give you the realisation, however, that you're two year away from being in your 20's and that is something that I am not okay with. At all...

That's all for now. Stay beautiful x


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love these types of posts! I wish you the best of luck with your drivers license and university! xx

    http://guiliannamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Do it! I know you want to!